Reema Lagoo was known as one of the most versatile films and screen actress in the industry, where she had worked in Bollywood movies and Marathi theatres. Starting her career in Marathi theatre, she got a break to act in Hindi movies. In the 1990s and early 2000s, she played mother’s role, for which she got recognized in the household name.
Below are some facts about Reema Lagoo who is popular for her role of mother in Bollywood:
1. Reema Lagoo was born as Nayan Bhabdhade.
She was born on 21 June 1958 in Mumbai. Her mother Mandakini Bhadbhade, was a Marathi theatre actress.
2. Reema was a child artist and worked in 9 films as a child actor.
3. Reema acting abilities were noticed when she was at Huzurpaga HHCP High School in Pune.
After completing high school she took up professional acting with Marathi plays.
4. Debut in Marathi movies and TV shows.
Reema Lagoo had attained more popularity in Hindi and Marathi TV shows and movies. Her first silver-screen stint was with the Marathi film Sinhasan in 1979.
5. Reema made her debut in Bollywood with the 1981 film Kalyug in a supporting role.
6. Reema Lagoo rendered her services in the Union Bank of India for ten years.
She joined the Union Bank of India in 1979 without giving up her career in acting. Reema Lagoo also took part in inter-bank cultural activities.
7. Married Vivek Lagoo in 1976.
Reema Lagoo met her husband Vivek in bank. The couple got married in 1976 but got separated in few years. The actress adopted the name Reema Lagoo after her marriage.
8. Reema had a daughter Mrunmayee Lagoo.
Mrunmayee Lagoo is known for her work on Thappad, PK and Talaash. She has collaborated with Aamir Khan on many films as an assistant.
9. Called as the new-age mother of Hindi cinema.
Famous for her mother’s role in Hindi films Reema was seen in Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak in 1988, wherein she served as Juhi Chawla’s mother. In the same year, she played Aruna Raje’s movie, Rihaee. She played the role of Salman Khan’s mother in Maine Pyar Kiya in 1989, Saajan in 1991, and Hum Saath Saath Hain in 1999. All of them had become a super hit in the box office. Her other films were Gumrah, Jai Kishen, in which she played Akshay Kumar’s mother’s role. In 1995, she acted in Rangeela, where she worked as Urmila Matondkar’s mother.
10. Her role of Sanjay Dutt mother in Vaastav won her a Filmfare nomination.
Vaastav: The Reality (1999) director Mahesh Manjrekar, talks about Reema in an interview and said,
“Reema was family. She was not actor Reema for me. I went to her house for dinners, meetings. I had a personal bond with her. She was a fantastic human being, always warm. She came from theatre, which has no place for hierarchy. She was a product of that space, so, she treated everyone same. She never had any airs about herself.”
11. Reema Lagoo got the best actress award in Maharashtra for her performance in Reshamgaath.
Her career as a television actress in Hindi and Marathi was successful.
12. She became quite popular with her role of Kokila Kulkarni in Shriman Shrimati in 1994.
13. She then gained a lot of following in the audiences with her TV drama with Supyira Pilgaonkar in Tu Tu Main Main as Devaki Verma.
14. Reema Lagoo won the Best Actress Award in Indian Telly Award in a comic role.
15. Reema Lagoo death.
Reema had a cardiac arrest while shooting for the television series Naamkaran. Reema was perfectly fine when suddenly she had chest pain on the sets and was rushed to the hospital. Sadly, she couldn’t make it and passed away on 18th May. Her daughter performed the funeral.
Reema Lagoo age was 58 years when she left the world.