Some movies are made to rewrite history. They are sleeper hits that no one expect to be as mammoth as they turned out be. And more than the film itself, the lead actors are immortalized for their performance. You will be surprised to know that some of these iconic films had something else planned out for them.
Here’s a list of actors who weren’t the first choice of the filmmakers of these movies.
1. Katrina Kaif was initially cast as Shruti in Barfi!
Several years after its release, no one could imagine any one other than Ileana D’Cruz as Shruti in Ranbir Kapoor-starrer Barfi. However, Anurag Basu initially roped in Katrina Kaif to play Ranbir’s love interest in the film.
2. Twinkle Khanna was the first choice to play Teena in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
It is very well-known by now that Karan Johar planned to cast Twinkle Khanna in his directorial debut Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Before Rani Mukerji, Twinkle was supposed to play Teena in the Shah Rukh Khan starrer.
3. Salman Khan casted in SRK’s Baazigar!
The director-duo initially had Salman Khan in their mind while casting for Baazigar. However, Salman’s dad turned down the role for its negativity. Ultimately, the film went to SRK and the rest is history.
4. Akshay Kumar was the first choice of Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
Milkha Singh himself preferred Akshay Kumar to play his role in his biopic. Later, Farhan Akhtar was roped in and earned accolades for himself for the film.
5. Instead of Deepika Padukone, Sanjay Leela Bhansali wanted Kareena Kapoor in Goliyon Ki Rasleela: Ram-Leela
Sanjay Leela Bhansali had made up his mind to cast Kareena Kapoor Khan as Leela in Goliyon Ki Rasleela: Ram-Leela. However, Bebo turned down the role for Gori Tere Pyaar Mein and the role went to DP.
6. Kangana Ranaut was the first choice for The Dirty Picture
Vidya Balan wasn’t the filmmakers first choice to play Silk Smitha in The Dirty Picture. Initially, they had Kangana Ranaut in their mind while writing the film. However, Kangana turned down the projector for Tanu Weds Manu.
7. Shahid Kapoor’s role in Jab We Met was initially written for Bobby Deol!
Imtiaz Ali originally planned to cast Bobby Deol as Aditya in Jab We Met opposite Kareena Kapoor Khan. However, when Bobby didn’t have dates, the film got shelved. After meeting Shahid Kapoor, the project was kickstarted again.
8. Shah Rukh Khan was supposed to play Ranchhod Das Chanchad in 3 Idiots
Shah Rukh Khan turned down the film 3 Idiots before it went to Aamir Khan. In fact, Rang De Basanti and Lagaan were also supposed to have SRK in the lead role.
9. Varun Dhawan was the first choice for Andhadhun
Sriram Raghavan initially wanted to cast Varun Dhawan as the lead role in Andhadhun. However, due to being busy with other project, he turned down Raghavan’s offer and the role went to Ayushmann Khurrana.
10. Shah Rukh Khan was first choice for Sanjay Dutt’s role in Munna Bhai: M.B.B.S.
Shah Rukh Khan was Hirani’s first choice for Munna Bhai’s role in Munna Bhai: M.B.B.S. However, due to health issues he turned down the offer.
11. Karisma Kapoor’s role in Dil Toh Pagal Hai was written for Juhi Chawla
Juhi Chawla was planned to be casted in Dil Toh Pagal Hai in place of Karisma Kapoor. She turned down the film because she didn’t want to be a part of a project that had multiple actresses.
12. Not Amitabh Bachchan but Raaj Kumar was the first choice for Zanjeer
The iconic film Zanjeer was supposed to be made with Raaj Kumar. However, at that time not only Raaj Kumar but many leading actors turned down the project. Finally, the role went to Big B.
13. Kareena Kapoor was first choice of Vikas Bahl for Queen
Vikas Bahl had Kareena Kapoor in mind when he planned to make Queen. However, the actress rejected the role as it didn’t suit her personality. Ultimately, the role went to Kangana Ranaut.
14. Anushka Sharma was planned to cast as female lead in Tamasha
Imtiaz Ali planned to cast Anushka Sharma as Tara in Tamasha. The latter rejected the film due to which the role landed with Deepika Padukone.
15. Imran Khan was the first choice for 2 States
The initial star cast of 2 States included Priyanka Chopra and Saif Ali Khan. When that didn’t work out, the role went to Imran Khan who also turned down the project. Finally, Alia and Arjun were casted in the romantic drama.
16. Madhuri Dixit was initially casted in Astitva
Initially, the role was offered to Madhuri Dixit who turned it down due to some unknown reasons. Finally, it went to Tabu who rewrote history with her performance.
17. Aamir Khan was roped in for Darr
The role that rewrote history for Shah Rukh Khan was initially written for Aamir Khan. However, due to its negative tonality, Mr. Perfectionist turned it down.
18. Shahid Kapoor was the first choice to play the lead in Raanjhana
Shahid Kapoor was Anand L. Rai’s first choice to play the male lead in Raanjhana. Due to some unknown reasons, Shahid couldn’t do the film due to which the role landed with Dhanush.