The programme, Tarak Mehta Ka Ulta Chashma, has been one of the most popular shows on television for almost a decade. Each character is well-defined, and the actors have played their roles so efficiently that the show and its characters have managed to maintain its place in the hearts of the audiences as they did when it all started. However, despite being tremendously popular, the show has had its share of secrets that very few people are aware of.
We have compiled a list of such interesting facts related to this show that not many of you know about. Let us take a look at some inside scoop.
1. Jetha Lal is older than Bapuji in real life
Amit Bhatt (Bapuji), who plays the role of Dillip Joshi’s (Jetha Lal) father in the show, is younger than his on-screen son.
2. Daya bhabhi and Sunderlal are real life brother-sister
Daya (Disha Vakani) and Sunderlal (Mayur Vakani) who play on screen brother and sister are brother and sister in real life, too.
3. Bhavya Gandhi is the highest-paid child artist
Bhavya Gandhi, who played the role of Tappu, was one of the highest-paid child artists in the Indian Television Industry charging Rs 10,000 per episode until he left the show after being a part of it for 8 years.
4. Bhide is an engineer
Mandar Chandwadkar, who plays the character of Atmaram Tukaram Bhide, is an engineer in real life besides being a great singer.
5. Popatlal is happily-married man and has three children
Shyam Pathak, who portrays the role of a ‘bachelor-forever’ Popatlal in the show, is actually a happily-married man in real life and has three children.
6. Sunderlal is has an M.A. in Indian Culture and Diplomas in Sculpture and Drama, respectively
Mayur Vakani, who plays Sunderlal, is an artist in real life and has even contributed in the making of Gujarat’s ‘Jhanki’ that was carried in the procession on the Republic Day.
7. Iyer used to write Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
Tanuj Mahashabde, who portrays the character of Iyer, initially started off as a writer on the show. However, it was only after a suggestion by Dilip Joshi that the producer decided to give him the role of Iyer. Although he is a Maharasthrian in real life and not a south-Indian, as portrayed on the show.
8. Gogi and Tappu are cousins in real life
Gogi and Tappu, played by Samay Shah and Bhavya Gandhi, respectively, are real life cousins.
9. Jethalal has previously worked with Babita Jee
Dilip Joshi has already worked with Munmun Datta, who plays the role of Babita, in another show called Hum Sab Barati.
10. Dilip Joshi was initially approached for the role of Champak Lal
However, he declined it and was later offered the role of Jetha Lal.
11. The character of Nattu Kaka is played by Ghanshyam Nayak
He has to his credit 200 Gujarati and Hindi movies, more than 100 Gujarati stage shows and 350 Hindi TV serials.
12. Babita Ji is youngest among the adult characters
Munmun Datta who joined the show when she was only 20. Eight years later, till date, she remains the youngest member among the adults.
13. While pursuing his B.Com, Dilip Joshi also won ‘Best Actor Award’ twice from the Indian National Theatre during his college days
14. Disha Vakani aka Daya Ben has a Diploma in Drama and has done many Gujarati plays before she entered the TV industry
15. Before claiming a permanent character on the show, Bagha, who works in Jetha’s shop, used to portray small roles in the show
He played a school teacher, an auto rickshaw and taxi driver and an informer in the same show.
16. Shailesh Lodha has four books to his credit, which makes him a writer in real life.
17. Disha Vakani’s father has also made special appearances on the show
He has been seen playing Champaklal’s cousin and many other similar minor roles in quite a few episodes.
18. Rita Shrivastav, who is portrayed by Priya Ahuja Rajda, is the real-life wife of show’s director Malav Rajda
19. Disha Vakani’s mother also made an appearance on the show in one of the episodes.
20. Gogi’s on-screen name is Gurucharan Singh, which also happens to be Roshan’s real name.
The popularity attained by this show makes any information related to the characters interesting. More so, people who watch a show on a regular get excessively familiar with the characters that their real lives are often treated as a big thing, a thing they can never get enough of! With so many interesting facts, we bet your perspective towards these characters must have changed a bit!