The CEO of Mahindra & Mahindra and an accomplished entrepreneur, Anand Mahindra, is an inspiring personality. When it comes to manufacturing utility vehicles and tractors, Anand Mahindra’s company has always been in the lead. They also provide a number of Finance and Aftermarket products.
The chairman of the Mahindra group is also a social media sensation for his active participation on social media and continuous interaction with his customers on Twitter. There are a lot of interesting facts about this business tycoon that one should know about.
Here are a few lesser-known facts about Anand Mahindra that will inspire you:
1. Anand Mahindra was born in Bombay, India on 1 May 1955
2. Anand Mahindra family
His father was the late industrialist Harish Mahindra and his mother was Indira Mahindra. He has two sisters, Anuja Sharma and Radhika Nath.
3. Anand Mahindra’s educational qualification
Anand Mahindra completed his schooling at Lawrence School, Lovedale in Ooty, Tamil Nadu. He often mentions that it was a remarkable period in his life. He studied architecture and film-making at Harvard University where he graduated with distinction in 1977.
He did his MBA from Harvard Business School in 1981.
4. Mr. Mahindra’s hobbies and interests
Anand Mahindra is an avid reader, he likes to sail, and play tennis. He is also a passionate photographer and is into filmmaking. In the year 2011, he aided with the idea of the Mahindra Blues Festival in Mumbai, as he listens to the Blues. The festival became an annual event after that. Renowned Blues musicians from all over the world participate in this Asia’s largest two days event.
The Mahindra group also organizes the Mahindra Kabira Festival.
5. Anand joined Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd (MUSCO) in 1981 as an Executive Assistant to the Finance Director
6. His roles and designations in the Mahindra group
Anand Mahindra was appointed as President and Deputy Managing Director of the Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd (MUSCO) in 1989.
He became the Deputy Managing Director of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., in 1991. The company is a producer of off-road vehicles and agricultural tractors in India. In 2001 he was appointed as the Vice Chairman of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
Mr. Anand Mahindra took on the role of Chairman of the board and Managing Director of the Mahindra Group in August 2012, from his uncle, Keshub Mahindra.
Anand Mahindra was re-designated as Executive Chairman of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. in 2016 and remained the Chairman of Mahindra Group.
Also read: 19 Anand Mahindra Quotes That Will Inspire And Guide You Towards Success
7. Anand Mahindra is a non-executive director of Kotak Mahindra Bank, he used to be a co-promoter of the bank
8. Anand Mahindra co-founded the Harvard Business School Association in India which is the biggest-ever donation to a foreign establishment
The Mahindra Humanities Center at Harvard was previously the Harvard Humanities Center to which Anand Mahindra donated $10 million, the biggest donation to an establishment overseas made by an individual.
9. Mahindra is the founder of Nanhi Kali which is a project to provide primary education to underprivileged girls in India
The project has supported 130,000 underprivileged girls as of September 2017.
Anand is also the chairman-for-life of an Indian charitable trust that works towards the socio-economic development of India. He is also one of the board of directors of Naandi Foundation.
His support and aid for a safe drinking water supply project in India was also praiseworthy as it served over 3 million people across the country in rural areas.
10. Mahindra Group’s entry into new business domains like hospitality and real estate was Mr. Mahindra’s idea
11. Mahindra is the president of ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India)
It supports vehicle manufacturers in testing, certification, research and development, homologation, and framing vehicle regulations. ARAI is working towards developing safe, more efficient, and less polluting vehicles.
12. Anand Mahindra ranked among the top 30 CEOs on social media
He is known for his engaging tweets and 10 million people follow him on Twitter.
13. Today, the Mahindra Group is one of India’s top 10 industrial houses with a revenue of US$19 billion
14. Anand Mahindra net worth is estimated to be $2 Billion USD (200 crores USD)
15. Anand Mahindra’s wife and children
Anand Mahindra wife is Anuradha Mahindra, the founder, editor, and publisher of the lifestyle magazine Verve. She is presently the editor of the magazines, Verve and Man’s World. Anand Mahindra has two daughters Aalika and Divya.
16. The Economist tagged Anand Mahindra as the face of Indian capitalism
He was anointed ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ in 2013 by Forbes India Magazine.
17. Anand is associated with a number of organizations apart from his company
He is a member of the board of the U.S.–India Business Council (USIBC). Anand got an invitation to join the International Advisory Council of Singapore’s Economic Development Board.
Anand is the Chairman of the India Advisory Council at the Lincoln Center, New York. He was appointed a Trustee of the Natural History Museum of London on a four-year team in 2015.
Anand is the chairman of the Governing Council, the National Institute of Design (NID), and President of the India Design Council.
18. Anand Mahindra and his brother-in-law, Charu Sharma launched Pro Kabaddi League, a professional-level kabaddi league in India in 2014
19. In 2014, A.Mahindra was featured in Fortune Magazine’s list of The World’s 50 Greatest Leaders
20. Anand Mahindra also established Mahindra University in 2020
21. Anand Mahindra got appointed as a non-official Director on the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India in 2022
View this post on Instagram